Friday, October 12, 2012

Apple Butter

Continuing on with the fall theme, several weeks ago I decided to attempt to make apple butter. I do have a confession to make though. I wasn't fully sure exactly how this was going to turn out. I thought it would have been a little more spread like (I was picturing maple butter).

It turns out that it is more like a very thick apple sauce! I really like this, but if I did it again, I would probably skip using the crock pot and speed up the process by making it in a pot on the stove. It would make a great topping for something like ice cream, or greek yogurt, but it is also quite good on its own.

I found this recipe on Pinterest, which linked me to a blog called Changing my Destiny.

Again, I don't have a picture of this because I finished up the smaller jar, and have not yet opened the larger mason jar. I don't want to break the seal on it, and a picture of a sealed mason jar is a little bit on the boring side. Once I open the jar I will take a picture and add it to this post.

Crock Pot Apple Butter - Courtsey of the Changing my Destiny Blog
Makes a little more than 1 pint

1 dozen apples, peeled, cored, cubed

1/2 Cup Water


1/4 Cup Brown Sugar

1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon All Spice

Peel, Core, and Chop a dozen apples.

Toss the apples in the sugar and spices.

Put everything in the Crockpot and set it to medium.

This is going to cook for HOURS, i put it on first thing in the morning, and didn't put it in the jars until well into the evening.

Also, I can be a little impatient, I took it out of the Crock Pot and put it on the stove near the end and cooked it down a little bit quicker.

To ensure it was completely smooth, I also used an immersion blender to give it that beautiful smooth texture.

I am planning on going apple picking this weekend, so some more apple recipes might appear in the coming weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment