Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A Lesson in Cake Pops...

I have already told you all about my super cute cake pop machine. 

I bought it last June to assist me in making a cake (that story is for another day though). 

In the very beginning of August 2012 I was helping to host a bridal shower (for my wonderful friend who is taking the Wilton classes with me).

We decided to make cake pops.

We shouldn't have made cake pops.

To be honest, making cake pops made NO sense  that weekend. It was probably one of the hottest weekends of the entire summer, and we were dipping the cake pops in chocolate, which was mistake #1. Mistake #2? we were rolling the cake pops in coarse sugar of course! 

This was one of my first big disasters in baking. We had mixed green, blue and white to create a teal colour, as well as dipping some in white chocolate. We did this in my friends basement in order to try and drop the temperature by a few degrees, with a garbage bag covering the deep freeze to concentrate the mess to one area.

Due to the heat the pops would not stay on the sticks... We decided that if that was the case, we would make cake balls instead. Again due to the heat, the chocolate would not set, it ended up funny looking and lumpy because we were just trying to get everything covered and then shoving them in the freezer. Finally, the sugar did not stick well at all and went all weird and melty due to the heat.

They actually tasted pretty good, but they sure weren't pretty.

Morale of the story? Playing with chocolate during a heat wave is a bad idea.


Needless to say I won't be becoming a professional cake pop artist any time soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment